Monday, March 30, 2015

How I got the Idea for Itchy Mitchie

The inspiration I got for Itchy Mitchie came mainly from two life experiences:

When I started grade school as a kid, oh how I wished I could just go barefoot! Every time I put my shoes and socks on, my feet instantly itched and I wanted to take them off! But my mom was persistent, insisting that I just needed to focus off my feet and on other things. So off to school I went with my socks and shoes! And you know what? She was right. As soon as I got distracted at school, my feet weren't itchy and I was fine!

Another lesson incorporated into the book came much later in life during my college days.  I was struggling with a certain health problem and I was just plain discouraged. My mom, who is a cancer survivor, told me the effects that chemotherapy had had on her nerves, making her feet constantly numb and painful - constantly. She told me that if she started focusing on the pain, it became very frustrating and discouraging.  So, she simply refused to think about it. She told me that by doing this, her numb and painful feet weren't even a problem for her. I was amazed that she could just simply choose not to think about such an annoyance. I discovered then, the power of positive thinking. It works! And that's the message I want to convey in the book.

(And now you can see why the book is dedicated to my sweet Momma)


No comments:

Post a Comment