Monday, January 18, 2016

A New Year Update



Life has been so busy lately! December was a great month for Itchy Mitchie sales – the best month since last March when I debuted it. So , thank you to all those who bought a copy! I sure hope you enjoy it! (If you did, don't forget to write a review in amazon wink, wink).

For those of you who still haven't bought a copy, get yours here! http://www.amazon.com/Itchy-Mitchie-Debbie-Day/dp/1508812462/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453169533&sr=8-1&keywords=itchy+mitchie (more winks) :)
And now it’s a new year and time to make new goals! I know it’s already halfway into January, but I’m still working on my resolutions. One goal that is certain, however, is this: Publish my 2nd book. The book about twins that I first wrote for my boys soon after they were born, (to which I have added a few things as they’ve grown).

So far, I’ve got eight out of about 24 illustrations completed, so I’m getting there! If I had just one full week of free-time, then I’d bet dollars to donuts I’d be able to finish it up. But right now I have about an hour or two a few days a week, so it just takes time. And that’s OK. :) 

I’ve got another problem besides time though, and that’s focus. One problem I’ve always had is sticking to one project at a time and just focusing on getting it done before moving on to the next one. These days, my free-time is divided in at least three ways. One is of course the twin book, another is reading a list of books I’ve assigned myself this year (another New Year’s Resolution), and third is working on my novel.

I haven’t talked about my novel since this post, but slowly I’ve been putting it together – first in my head, then eventually  mapped out on paper - chapter by chapter until the very end. Now I’m beginning the process of actually writing it, which is super exciting…and scary. Scary because I want to capture the characters’ voices right, and paint the scenes right, and add the right amount of mystery, and get it…just right! All I can say is what a blessing it is to be a part of a writing group. It helps my writing SO much. The feedback I’ve received on my novel has been incredibly helpful.
So far, I’ve written about 10,000 words. I’m about halfway into the third chapter. The book in total will have about 20 chapters. So, I’m just getting started, but again, just like my twin book, these things take time. I’m pretty sure I can say that I’ve completed one of the hardest parts anyway, which is: Coming up with the storyline-the twists, turns, and ending - and writing chapter summaries for every chapter, up to the very last page. I’ve tried to stick to the “Snowflake Method” which you can find here:http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/. I found it really helpful in planning it out. Now, it’s just a matter of willing myself to keep going and not give up!

So that’s what I’ve been working on as of late. My goal for this week is to complete two more twin illustrations, and another two or three thousand words of my novel in two weeks’ time. Other goals include finding more ways to sell Itchy Mitchie through local craft fairs or book events. So we'll see what happens.

Stay tuned for more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment