Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Holiday Writing Contest!

Submitting a last-minute entry into Susanna Hill's Holiday Writing Contest. Thanks for the opportunity Susanna!  See all the entries HERE.

GINGERBREAD HOUSES HAVE MAGIC
By Debbie
250 Words 

It’s the last day of school before Christmas break.
Everyone in my class is talking, laughing…
If only I had someone to build my gingerbread house with.
I don’t really have friends but I’m sort of used to it.
Ms. Wilkinson helps me glue graham crackers together.
“Gingerbread houses have magic,” she says.
If you leave them out, elves may visit.”
I laugh, but I wonder if she’s right.
I work hard on my house.
Licorice and fruit rings for the roof.
Candy canes for a heart door.
After school, I want to show my mom,
but she isn’t home,
so I set it on the porch.
I watch out the window a long time, but nothing happens,
so I go to bed.
In the middle of the night, I wake up and look outside.
My house is gone!
I step out to investigate.
My breath blows a white cloud.
It’s quiet.
Across the street, I see a light in the woods.
I walk closer.
No way. My house! Big enough for ME to fit inside!
I open the heart-shaped candy cane door.
“Welcome!” says a sparkly elf.
She gives me a hug.
“Have some hot chocolate,” says another.
“Is this real?” I ask.
“Just for tonight. But you get one Christmas wish before you go.”
All night, the elves tell me stories.
I laugh, sip cocoa, and think about my wish.
Before I leave, I finally decide:
“I wish I could feel this way always - like I belong.” 

4 comments:

  1. Oh man! This one really tugs at the hear strings! Great emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. Isn't that a wish to which many of us can relate. I hope her wish is granted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ! This could blow up to a whole chapter book:)

    ReplyDelete